Sunday, May 15, 2011

Extreme Makeover: Home Edition

So, I'm watching a Marathon of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition and two episodes in a row show families with disabilities. In one there was a little girl who has a disease that has caused her to loose both of her legs and her right arm. In the other there was a woman who was born with a disorder where she never developed her legs and also only had part of her right arm.

The little girl, though facing all of these physical challenges was a ray of sunshine. She never stopped smiling and laughing and really pushed her self to be able to do everything that he other siblings did. The woman found love and had 4 children. Love didn't last and she continued to raise her children as a single mother, but managed to go to school and never asks anyone for help.

Looking at something like this really makes me think and puts things into a different perspective.
As a superficial and materialistic society we always wish that we can have more and kick and cry and complain when we don't get what we want. We make ourselves sick and suffer over the most minute and ultimately pointless issues. For the most part, we focus on all of the things we don't have or haven't accomplished and completely disregard the things we DO have and are able to accomplish every day with ease.

I'm not going to sit here and lie about how my life is now changed and I'm never going to be ungrateful again, because hey, I'm human. But I will say that it really does make me realize that though times are tough, I am indeed very lucky. We all are. I can only hope that more and more people start to realize this. Life would be so much nicer if people were more happy with themselves.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't have said better myself Emily. This is the reason I love to watch these shows...in a small way, they inspire me...they do open up my eyes to EVERYTHING that I do have. And I am so grateful.

    Love you baby girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very true, I notice more and more what people want and their very stupid reason as to why they want. Spoke to a woman at work who was pissed that she couldnt get a $500 purse, i figure whats the point of having a purse that cost that much if you dont have $500 to put in it when you do get it? Rich people are stupid in the sense of happiness but to them its ok because they have the money, i say keep your money if it will afford me my happiness.

    ReplyDelete