Saturday, June 4, 2011

The Great (UNFAIR) Food Truck Race

So, as a lot of you may know by now, Food Network is filming the season finale of The Great Food Truck Race here in Miami this weekend. The two remaining trucks are The Lime Truck from Irvine, California and Hodge Podge from Cleveland, Ohio. They are competing for a grand prize of $100,000 and the winner will be determined by how much food they sell in a city where they have no followers.

Sounds exciting! Seems fair enough right?......WRONG!

Since the moment I found out about this event all I keep hearing about from our local Miami food trucks is Hodge Podge this and Hodge Podge that...Hodge Podge EVERYTHING! I had to go on a major Twitter Mission to find out where the Lime truck was yesterday, and when I finally got to the location (in Midtown Miami) the truck was being towed away!

I find it really unfair and somewhat heartbreaking that sooooo many Miami food trucks promote and support Hodge Podge, but don't utter a word about Lime. They even had Hodge Podge take part in the Miami Lakes Auto Mall gathering last night which was HUGE and you KNOW they made a ton of sales out there and what did Lime get? I little corner in Midtown? Come on! That is BEYOND unfair!

I know that the Podge has friends here in Miami, but try playing fair. Both trucks have to be great if they've made it this far in the game. I believe BOTH should be promoted and supported equally. And if Hodge Podge was invited to the big event last night, Lime should have been too. And apparently they are going to be taking part in the big event over at Tobacco Road tonight as well, but Lime has once again been left out.

I LOVE my Miami food trucks, I really really do. It's something I like to do with my family and friend and always have a great time. I love how they all support each other and work as a team as well as how friendly and appreciative they are with all of their followers. But seriously, this just isn't cool.

I finally caught up with Lime today, outside of the Melting Pot on 157th and Biscayne. My mother and I shared 3 of the 4 items on their menu as well as their berry limeaide and I have to say that their food is phenomenal! Their blue crab and scallop ceviche was the best ceviche I've ever had! And tonight, I'm going to gather up a big group and go out to find them again because their food is more than worth it.

Bottom line, I don't want to bash the Miami food truck scene, but this kind of favoritism is ridiculous. This battle should be about who has the best food, not the best connections.

Sincerely,
A disappointed food truck follower

**UPDATE** The Lime Truck will be in Coconut Grove tonight starting at 7pm! Stop by and show them some love and I will see you all there! :)

2 comments:

  1. I found your post through a retweet via Chef Jason's father on Twitter.

    Being a local Lime Truck fan back in their home area of Orange County, CA I have read how unfair the trucks have been to Lime Truck. It is especially apparent with 'BugerBeast', who claims to be "The definitive source for all Miami Food Truck info" (his words, not mine). He has not made a peep about Lime Truck at all. I'm sorry, but if you claim to be a food truck tracker for "all" of the Miami Food Truck scene, then he should've said something about them and not just about Hodge Podge.

    I'm just ranting along with you but I'm very glad you enjoyed Lime Truck! Please keep on supporting them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know what was the deal with the whole favoritism thing? I'm new to twitter and... well... everything so I feel that I'm missing part of the story.

    I followed @callmemochelle on Twitter as she was one VERY loyal fan of The Lime Truck! This interaction intrigued me:

    @CALLMEMOCHELLE: Come on #Thelimetruck fans! They need ur help in Miami. Lime is getting no love from local food trucks like @BurgerBeast @LaCamaronera :-(

    @LACAMARONERA: @callmemochelle We are helping Cleveland bc we took Lebron. Ask TheLimeTruck who is helping with their commissary. :)

    Now, I know I can be quite naive at times, but I'm pretty sure that Lebron is not really the reason the Miami food trucks have backed Hodge Podge so much.

    Furthermore, another thing that made me wonder was when a Twitterer (I guess that's the name for it?) tweeted this:

    @DOOMZOMBIEBELS: Dude just gave me $20 to.spend @hodgepodgetruck #greatfoodtruckrace #Dopesauce

    So... apparently people are GIVING locals money to spend at Hodge Podge?! All this makes me wonder WHY Miami food trucks are so invested in making SURE that Hodge Podge wins. What on earth could Miami trucks possibly gain by going so far out of their way just to ensure victory from Hodge Podge??

    ReplyDelete